When fire strikes, gaps around fire doors allow fire and smoke to spread. This can be stopped by fitting intumescent fire door seals. Surface mounted fire door seals are easy to install; simply stick the strips with their self-adhesive backing to the frame or to the fire door itself. They can be used to upgrade older fire doors which had been installed without fire door seals.
- Easy to fit surface-mounted fire door seals
- 60 minutes of fire integrity - suitable for a gap of up to 11mm at the head of the door!
- No rebating or drilling needed, the seals are self-adhesive
- Seals stop both fire and smoke (intumescent strip and brush seals)
- Save time and labour costs
- Requires a 3-4mm gap between the door and frame
- The single door kit includes:
- 1mm thick strips for fitting to the hinge jamb (2 strips)
- 2mm thick strips for fitting to closing lock jamb and door head (3 strips)
- The double door kit includes:
- 1mm thick strips for fitting to the hinge jamb (4 strips)
- 2mm thick strips for fitting to closing lock jamb and door head (4 strips)
- Overall seal width 25mm (20mm intumescent strip, 5mm smoke seal brush)
- Supplied in sets for single or double doors
- Available in white or brown (please note that the brush is grey)
- Can be fitted directly over hinges with no hinge binding
- Independently tested to BS 476-22:1987
- Simple installation
These seals are available as single door sets or double door sets.
The seals are manufactured from intumescent materialand are faced with a coloured vinyl finish. They also feature a brush smoke seal fitted at one edge and the back of the seal is fitted with an adhesive backing strip for ease of fitting. Once fitted, the seal can be painted over (excluding the smoke brush). The seals are available in brown or white finishes.
A minimum gap of 4mm is required around the sides and top of the door.
The seal fits directly over the hinges (this does not cause any binding to the hinge action).
Our surface-mounted intumescent fire and smoke seals can be fitted to single and double fire door sets in a matter of a minutes.
Q. How big can the gap between door and frame of a fire door be to be able to use surface-mounted fire door seals?
A minimum 4mm gap is required. The maximum is 11mm (at the head of the door)
Q. Can a UPVC door be upgraded with surface mounted intumescent seals to make it comply to a 30 minute fire rating?
Although there are UPVC fire doors available, your door is most likely not suitable as a fire door and would need replacing altogether including frame. You would need to contact the manufacturer of the door for advice.
Q. How can existing fire doors that have no seals be updated to conform to regulations?
The Surface Mounted Fire and Smoke Seal kits can be used. They can be fitted to the door or the door frame. A double door kit is available, which means that the seals would need to be fitted to the doors rather than the door frame, so that the gap between the doors is covered.
Q. Can the seals be fitted to the door instead of the frame?
The seals can be fitted to either the door or frame.
Q. Hello Please could you tell me how to fit the surface mounted seals - single door kit? Thanks
In the single door kit you will receive 5 seals. Two of the seals are 1mm thick and three of the seals are 2mm thick. The thinner seals are designed for fitting to the hinge side of the door and the other three strips are designed for the lock side and across the top of the door. The seals are self adhesive, can be cut to size and can be placed over the metal of hinges. There is a brush along one edge of each seal. The seal should be fitted so that the brush rests against the door stop of the frame. I hope this helps.